I think one of the things I have learned about being a mom is how much of a sinner I am. I cannot help it, I was born a sinner- and so is Aren.
Who taught her how to be so demanding about her way? Banging her fists and crying out in rebellion, she thinks she deserves what she wants when she wants it. I can train her to be moral, but that will not change her heart- she will just learn to manipulate and be outwardly one way and inwardly another. Still the same heart of selfishness and pride- one that does not live for God but lives for herself. That is what sin is. Aren can't help but sin- it is her nature and it is amazing how clear it is in her life, making it clearer in mine.
The problem is, she cannot change it, and neither can I. "Being good" proves problematic at the end of the day- she messes up and so do I. Our being good revolves around a checklist of what we think is good, and then after we complete that we can do whatever we want as long is its not illegal or hurting anyone, still thinking about ourselves. What kind of heart is that? That is a problem for a perfect God who says that being good to Him means perfection.
I am nowhere close to perfect. What it has shown me is how much we need a Savior- someone to rescue us from this corruption that manifests our thoughts, words and actions. What we need is a new heart.
Easter is the best celebration for Pete and I, and we pray for our children. Jesus lived the perfect life so that when he was put to death, he would trade places with us. He would take our sin- we would get His righteousness. He will give us a new heart if we trust in His work for us. Would you pray for that for Aren? That the Lord would give her a new heart? We cannot do it for her, only God can change her. We can train her and prepare her, but it is only Him who can open her eyes to see the truth.
How will we know her heart has been changed? Because her life will be different. Not perfect, but she will desire to please God and live for Him. That looks like something, and until we see that, we will know that she does not have a new heart, and is not right with God. Pray for us to be patient and consistent with her. Pray that Easter Sunday would be the best celebration in her life as it is in ours.
Amen!
ReplyDeleteI will pray & I love what the Lord has been teaching you! Thanks for sharing your heart with us.
ReplyDelete